COUNTY UPDATE ON MEASLES EXPOSURE
The Orange County Department of Health is advising residents of a confirmed case of measles in the County. People who may have visited Satmar Meats of KJ in Monroe on the following day may have been exposed to measles:
Thursday, 12/20/2018 between the hours of 4:30 PM and 8:00 PM.
Additionally, the Rockland County Department of Health is advising that people who may have visited the Rockland Kosher Supermarket on 27 Orchard Street, in Monsey, NY may have been exposed to measles:
Tuesday, 12/25/2018 between the hours of 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 PM
If you are not already immune, there are treatments that can be given up to 6 days after your 12/25/2018 exposure that could help prevent you from developing measles.
If a person is immune to measles, it is unlikely that he or she would become ill if exposed. A person is considered immune if he or she was born before January 1, 1957, has received two doses of the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine or has a lab test confirming immunity. Those individuals who are not immune or not sure if they have been vaccinated are at risk of developing measles. Symptoms include a fever, rash, cough, conjunctivitis (reddened eyes) and/or runny nose. Symptoms usually appear in 10-12 days after exposure but may begin as early as 7 days or take as long as 21 days.
The Orange County Health Department recommends:
- All patrons of Satmar Meats of KJ should monitor for signs and symptoms of measles through 01/10/2019.
- If you do become ill, you should seek appropriate medical care immediately:
- Contact your health care provider or emergency department before seeking care to avoid exposing others to illness;
- Do not go to work, school or other public places; and
- Notify the local health department where you live about your possible exposure to measles.
- Individuals who are not certain if they are immune to measles, or unsure of their MMR vaccination status, should receive an MMR vaccine as soon as possible. You should contact your health care provider or the Orange County Health Department for further guidance.